Monday, December 01, 2008

Homeschool Month 4 - Let me remind myself

Note to self: I am not trying to have formal education with our children, the children the Lord has given us to steward. I am not trying to line up what we do, with exactly what's being done in first grade and in PreK, nor am I trying to be sure that they are always far ahead of their natural grade.

My focus right now is on comprehending, reasoning, and communicating. Based on the normal progression of learning. Laying a firm foundation and moving toward discernment, logic, critical thinking, ...moving beyond mere sensory perception. All of these will help our children learn to discern between truth and error - so essetntial to their life in Christ.

Educating them with useful facts instead of merely trying to master all of the modern learning theories.

We want them to learn - Why we do what we do. How the world works and why.

And finally, training their spirits in self-discipline.

No comments: