Monday, October 10, 2016

This Christian's Worst Dilemma During the Presidential Election 2016

I think it's fair to say that most people in this country who can hear or read, or can receive information communicated to them in some form or fashion, are offended by statements made by Donald J. Trump, both his past and his present.

Almost an equal amount of people have voiced strong opinions about whether they distrust Hillary Clinton or are able to overlook, condone or justify her past actions.

Thinking through this whole fiasco reminds me of recent arguments regarding the Black Lives Matter movement.  Many of the statements I hear dismissing or defending Donald Trump's or Hillary Clinton's behavior remind me of statements like "well, what about white lives" or "what about all lives?"  

We can't dismiss a valid issue, by pointing to the importance of another.

The need to recognize, fight for a means of prevention, and render punishment for the injustices committed by law enforcement against black men -- is valid.

The need to acknowledge that there is violence in the black community committed by those within our race -- is valid.

The need to admit that there can be actions, taken by some individuals facing police questioning, which are disrespectful -- is valid.

Considering the dilemma many of us feel we face during this election - having to choose the "lesser of two evils" - I am challenged by some of the statements I saw posted on Facebook by Pastor Mike Hayes and by Franklin Graham (son of Billy Graham).  

Their statements bring into focus the need to step away from our gaze at the individual personalities and actions made by these two candidates who are before us.   Although it's unimaginable for some to think of Hillary leading our country, or Donald embarrassing the U.S., or respecting either of them as our leader, the statements by Hayes and Graham challenge us to ponder the holistic process of government and the power and influence given by a particular political party's platform.

Although I love how the statements of these two men challenged me, I can't say that hearing this will solve the toiling unrest in those who, like me, are experiencing a countless number of emotions, relative to issues on both sides of the fence.  It would be great if I could simply say, oh yeah, forget the temperaments and just vote for my convictions.  It feels weird and unsettling.

Now for those who merely lean toward support of a sole party, it has at times been a no-brainer to zoom in on the faults of the other party's rep.  Just as the Presidential debates and campaign messages are filled with jabs and stabs, these same sentiments overwhelm the social media commentary, water cooler, locker room and living room talk.

But what's the point of any of this, when every day and every year there are policies being made and battles being fought that truly matter to you and me?  Policies influenced by the "party in charge."

This whole muddle continues to remind me that we are in this worst dilemma.  Some may say, when solidifying their choice, "I can't stand him or her but at least I'll get what I want for the  next 4 years."

That brings me to the issues.

What seems even worse than the difficult task of choosing one person or the other, is that it's impossible for me, in clear conscience, to side with one set of players (platform of issues) --- for this team of which I fantasize.  If only I could customize and select everything that matters to me and not have to pick from what's been already assembled.  Like if I could choose Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Superman and Superwoman together, right?  All of my favs!

But that's not an option.

As my three older children have grown and become more curious, they've asked me to explain on many occasions, the difference between Republican and  Democrat, the difference between conservative and liberal.  In their attempt to summarize it, I've heard them repeat phrases they've heard from others.  Phrases such as: 

"Democrats are for black people right?" 

"Republicans fight for and protect the rich right?" 

"Democrats give to people in need right?"

"Republicans are Christians right?"

"Democrats are for letting people do whatever FEELS right to them -- right?"

"Republicans believe in God's definition of marriage and are against killing unborn  babies, right?"

I wish I could tell you that I've always been able to give a clear and confident answer to their questions.  

But that would be a lie.

I wish I could tell them that Mommy and Daddy have solidified our stance with ONE party and can wholeheartedly support a particular party's candidate (or list of candidates) in a given election. 

That would also be a lie.

There are a few things I CAN tell my children, though.  

I don't believe I will ever become a diehard member of any political party.

I don't believe I will ever vote for someone based solely on their promises, charisma, or character.

Focus on the issues and improving ones understanding of the political process is my recommendation to my children and to anyone, regardless of whether you lean toward the left or the right!  This understanding includes the makeup and roles of the Cabinet, Congress and the Legislature , the influence of the Supreme Court and other appointed positions, as well as State and local government.

In this process, as a Christian, there is this most apparent reality that must be considered.  Neither of the dominant political parties can claim the label of "the party for Christian people or Christian principles".  Period.   

Further, I don't believe either party has consistently kept promises made during an election season.  Whether these promises and hopes speak to your religious conviction, your plea for the poor, your need of support for your business, your appeal for a larger tax refund/credit, or your expectation of the advancement, restitution or acknowledgement for your race.

So it's painful to see how many will rally behind a party or individual, clinching to the feelings of hope that "this time he/she/they will affect the lasting change I've been waiting for."  Or the number of people who will merely feel good that this person achieved the accomplishment of serving in the role or can excite audiences or genders in a speech or on a photo.

Perhaps there is a more balanced approach to assessing elections and viewing the entire process.

As with the earnest and honest pleas of those who are so passionate on either side of the Black Lives Matter debate, each valid plea must be viewed in its own context and then as a whole.  Just as in a marriage, it is senseless to listen to the needs of only one spouse and the impact of the hurts they've sustained, while blatantly ignoring, consistently downplaying and intentionally attacking the other spouse -- preventing any relevance of their concerns.  

I must do the same when it comes to politics.

There are countless sides and dimensions to this complicated coin.  It's only through a better understanding of the entire process, not jumping to conclusions based my view through a portion of a lens that may be in fact be fogged, that I can ever make informed choices of how to cast my vote.

Until then I continue pondering This Christian's Worst Dilemma.  I could choose to remain frozen and paralyzed or I could choose to act out of emotion or narrow-mindedness.

My prayer is that, instead of freezing or settling, I will keep my mind open.  Not open to my own thoughts or the influence of those around me, but open to the voice of God as He leads me step by step.

I believe there is wisdom in seeking God's will in every season, every election, every issue, every ballot.  No party's record and no candidate's  profile is so stable or trustworthy that I can allow it to prevent me from considering how God is leading me to choose in the present.

So for now - for me - it still feels like the worst Presidential election dilemma ever (at least the worst in my lifetime), but believe me when the time comes to choose an each individual spot on any ballot, I plan to be led by the Lord.  It is my prayer that we will equip our children with the wisdom to do the same.

And no I won't tell you all the individuals I chose! :-)

No comments: