Wednesday, May 30, 2007

CTI June - There's No Place Like Home

Man, this is a crazy, wonderful time of clarification and direction. I've said before (and have been saying for about a year) that the time we spent in CTI (School of Ministry) has been the best for our marriage.

I am still seeing more and more reasons for why that is true.

Month after month, we've had new challenges, new things happening that stretch us and that bless us as well.

The latest has been regarding the imporatance of building a solid foundation at home, for our children. I see even more clearly, after the past few months, that there is no place like home!

I realize that there are things each of us will be shown and will be convicted of and I never want to push my convictions on anyone else, so if you're reading this, know that it is me sharing what I have learned and how I will apply it -- but at the same time it is important for you to examine the scriptures and see it for what it is.

There is no place like home. What does that really mean? And if I believe that is true, what am I going to do about it? I'll tell you about my quest. You can be a Berean and sort it out as well.

There's no place like worship at home. Worship and Bible Study are important and are necessary. It is important for us to worship corporately and to assemble together with others, but the most imporant worship and modeling should take place at home. This is something Jeoff and I have recommitted to and have developed a very strong passion for, culminating with the completion of CTI. I don't think it's coincidental at all. We are to be equipped to do the work of the ministry and our equipping was done to carry it out here. It was designed to happen this way. Our true passion, our call to ministry is to raise up these soldiers, here, in our house and to model the roles of priest and nurturer before them, so they don't have to search for those answers outside of our walls. Father is called to teach his children the word of God at home and to carry out worship there. That is so much clearer to us now. Those are the qualifications of the Elder. (I Timothy 3). He is able to teach at home. He manages his household. He leads us in worship. This training we have received, will be applied at home first. Before we set off on any other journey, or mission, or meeting. When (and as) it's done right in here; we can be qualified to do so, even better out there. Some of the resources that have solidified that can be found at www.TriviumPursuit.com, specifically the audio on Family Worship.

There's no place like having home on my mind. I am so much more convicted and passionate about focusing my mind on the things of my household. Keeping my home, taking care of my husband and my children well. And not as just a duty or as something to fit in. But making it my first priority! Titus 2 - to love my husband, love my children, and be a worker at home, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. One of the resources that has solidified that, is the Mother's Day message from Dr. Tony Evans on May 13, 2007.

There's no place like teaching at home. I am so much more convicted now, to teach at home. Convicted to bring my children up in the ways of the Lord. To mold their character. To direct them with the rod of discipline. Deuteronomy 6: "You shall teach them diligently to your children and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." It will be very difficult for me to do that and do it well, if I continue to get up early in the morning and leave my house and come back to my house in the evening with only a few hours to fit all that in. I realize that doesn't read "thou shalt homeschool." But if we are to teach them, I believe we can pray to Him for a plan and for the provision to be their primary teachers. There's more I can say on this, but in making this decision, we also researched how "state school" came about, in our culture and the trends that have come about as a result. It all points us back to, what is the primary responsibility (Biblically) for the parent and for the home. One of the resources I found helpful - www.HeartofWisdom.com.

So, that's where I am right now and where we're headed, and it's so much more clear. I look forward to the rest of the journey!

1 comment:

Chrystal said...

This is such a great post Leslie! I hope to share it on my blog soon...

I've tagged you for a meme...check out my post from 6/1...