Thursday, January 03, 2008

What is My Giving Like? - Thoughts from The "Desperate Housewives Book" - Chapter 10

From 12/19 /07

This morning:

Husband: "Babe, can you iron my shirt for me?"

Three optional responses ran through my mind, in a matter of seconds.

A. "Uhgh, I just finished cooking your breakfast and now I have to get the kids breakfast and the baby changed and not to mention get myself cleaned up and dressed."

B. "Can you do it when you come back in here from changing my flat tire?"

C. "Sure I will."

What did I choose?

After a huge (inner) sigh, I chose to C, but it was not easy at all.

Thank God for this book! Passionate Housewives, Desperate for God by Jennie Chancey and Stacy McDonald.

This week I finished reading the book. It was the fastest I had read a book in years. When I closed the book that night, of course after everyone was asleep, I felt rejuvenated and rededicated in my commitment to serve. But dawn was coming and I would have to face the fight in my flesh which always tempts me to think about myself rather than serving someone else.

I had the time that night to finish the book (the remaining 7 chapters I had left) but just days later I feel like I need to read it all over again. Of course I don't have the time to do that so instead I must grasp some of the nuggets I remember, go back to some of the earmarked pages to refresh me, and most importantly recall the passages from the Word of God that will get me back on track.

I'm a work in progress for sure. And I'm just glad that His Word is available to teach me.... as long as I am teachable!

Here are a few quotes from Chapter 10 of Passionate Housewives, Desperate for God, that stood out for me, in the area of service.

"It's all in our attitude toward the things that need to be done and the people we are serving. If we view our husbands, families, and guests as so many leeches crying, "Give, give!" then we are not going to develop a godly joy as we serve them."

That reminds me of something Voddie Baucham says regarding child discipline. "Our children must learn to do what we say, and do it with a good attitude."

It's easy to expect that of your children, but not so easy to do it yourself, as a child of God.

Here's another quote from the book:
"Sing praises as you sweep up those never-ending crumbs. Whistle hymns while you wipe down the bathroom. Meditate upon Scripture while you are folding that third pile of laundry."

Jennie Chancey, one of the authors, said this of their home, growing up. "Christ was the Lord of that house, and our job was to serve Him without being bitter or acting put-upon."

Lord let me adopt that in my heart, myself!

Here is another other post with commentary on the book.

4 comments:

Sonya said...

I'll be starting this book soon and I'm glad to hear you are liking it. I know I will love it and that it will do me a world of good. There are many times that I need to be reminded how to respond to my hubby because I am so caught up in all I'm doing. I think Stacy and Jennie have such wonderful teachings for wives and mothers and I can't wait to see what all is in this book!

BTW, I came over from In Pursuit of Proverbs 31. I noticed a movie meme on her site and came over to see your list!

Robyn Jones said...

I am not sure which choice I would have made...probably not c though. I am such a mouth...LOL! I am glad my hubby loves me anyways....

I should read that book...it would probably do me some good...

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Wow leslie. That book looks great. I am not so sure I would have chose choice C...good for you! What a reminder.

Dria said...

I just love reading your blog each day. Its like a drink of cool water on a hot day. I've been praying for a while for a mentor and God has recently answered that prayer in the form of online Christian mentors via these amazing blogs. Thank you so much for sharing the insight God gives to you!!