Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Who Can I Run To? Who DO I Run To? - Thoughts from The "Desperate Housewives Book" - Chapter 4

A quote from Chapter 4 of Passionate Housewives, Desperate for God.

"Has anyone ever said to you, 'You sure do look tired; you need to get more rest'? Maybe some well-meaning friend has patted your back and told you about your need for more time to yourself without the children, so that you won't have a breakdown or wear yourself out. Perhaps they've insisted that, to be truly spiritual or godly, you must have a "quiet time" early each morning in peaceful solitude with the Lord. To top it off, they've probably warned you that if you don't do all these things (that are practically impossible for a mom with young children), you won't be able to take care of your family properly, your relationship with God will suffer, and you may even wind up on the five o'clock news!"

Rather than getting angry or frustrated by these statements, we need to know how to respond to them. Even more importantly, we need to know how to rely on God to believe our burdens - His ways never fail us! In this chapter we'll discuss several ways we can let go of some of the ways we burden ourselves, as well as learn how to properly manage the challenges and trials God sends us for our good and His glory.

I'm reminded in this chapter of the book, that the times that I spend reading the Bible with my children, worshipping, and praying with them, are just as priceless as a time that I could spend miles away or completely alone. As I begin to appreciate those times I begin to have a much better attitude about what my spiritual role is in their life and I am less anxious about getting away from them, for time alone. It's not that I don't still get away and not that I cannot enjoy time away with friends or time alone, but my perspective about it is different.

Here's another great quote that I enjoyed, regarding the Lord's word to me in my weariness.

"Be assured that neither your efforts nor your tears (Psalm 56:8) have gone unnoticed by our wise, good, and powerful God; and that He has ordained your steps (Psalm 16:7). Go to Him; plead for His strength and mercy (Psalm 86:16). He will give you the rest needed to accomplish His will, as He promises (Matthew 11:28-30)."

That's especially assuring after long days of seemingly endless activity, or just long mornings of the same. I can rest on my pillow at night and replay a verse like this and it's just like my own personal get away:

"Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life." (Psalm 42:8)

One last quote from the book, which takes me to the attitude of servanthood, later expounded on in chapter 10 of the book.

"If I focus on the things I'm not getting because I'm serving my family....", "I might easily become embittered against the very people God has called me to sacrificially love and serve. If I strive for a "me-centered" life while I am surrounded by a family who needs me, then I will find myself frustrated and desperate indeed - with an emphasis on despair. Some days are draining, but we need to let Jesus be the satisfier of our souls. God will meet needs you didn't even know you had and give you all the rest and refreshing you require. It may come in the form of housecleaning help from a friend, a night alone with your husband, or a meal from someone at church. Or it may be the supernatural rest that only God can give. He will multiply your strength in His own way!"

Here is another post with commentary on the book.

No comments: