Saturday, May 10, 2008

Rotel Chicken (I forgot the original name)

This is a recipe from Beth Moore. A friend sent it to me and it's directly from Beth's blog I believe.

I modify this recipe according to what I have at home and I sometimes stir fry it, instead of baking it in the oven.

Ingredients:
*1/4 cup butter
*1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
*1 medium onion, chopped
*1 can cream of mushroom soup
*1 can cream of chicken soup
*1 can (10 oz) RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (This is a staple in
every Texas cupboard and critical to this dish but I'm worried that some of
you far from the Lone Star State won't be able to find it. Look for it near
the cans of whole tomatoes. If there's only one RO*TEL on the shelf, God put
it there and is equipping you for every good work. Believe it or not, Keith
uses two cans instead of one but don't try that at home. We're
professionals.)
*2 cups cubed cooked chicken. (If you don't boil your own, please don't tell
Keith. He thinks that's sacrilegious. You're supposed to always do your own
so that you have fresh broth on hand for whatever recipe you come up with
next. Gosh. This is boring me to tears.)
*12 corn tortillas, cut in halves or fourths
*2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese (If you don't grate your own and,
instead, get the kind that's already prepared in the bag like I do, don't
tell Keith that either.)

Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cook pepper and onion in melted
butter until tender. (5 or so minutes. Like anyone cares.) Add soups, RO*TEL
and chicken, stirring until well blended. In a 13X9X2-inch (that dimension
took me ten solid minutes to type. This is more than I can take) baking pan,
alternately layer tortillas, soup mixture and cheeses, repeating for three
layers. Bake 40 minutes or until hot and bubbling. (Good grief. I can't
believe I just wrote that. Hot and bubbling. How stupid is that? This whole
recipe thing is bringing out my insecurities.) Serves 8. Or at my house, 3,
because we eat like pigs.

No comments: