Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Five years ago

My big buddy is now 5 years old.  Man!!!  I remember the day he was born and how elated we were that we finally had another boy in the family.  Before him, the only grandson in the family (on my side) was my nephew and after him, came 5 girls.  So glad to have another boy in the mix now.

You started out as a very mellow fellow.  Always with a calm, warm grin, but not loud or boisterous at all.  But man, when you hit the 2 year mark, you took off like a firecracker.

I'll never forget you whipping across Granny's sectional, and across all the furniture in the Narthex of Covenant Church.  LOL

Then there were your experiences in preschool.  All the calls we received about this little boy who wouldn't listen, wouldn't take directions, wouldn't sit still, wouldn't stay at the table.  The calls saying you need to come pick him up and if this happens again, you need to consider taking him somewhere else because he can't comply with the school rules.

You've grown oh so much since then.  

After my first year of being home with you, and schooling you, and watching you and your action-packed behavior.  But at the same time, watching your helpfulness and your tender heart running to bring a flower, or a teddy bear, or a cup of water to one of your sisters when they're hurt.  And watching you sit and sing a whole MEDLEY of songs to your baby brother when he was crying and mommy was taking your baby sister to the potty or cooking dinner and couldn't pick baby up.

Buddy, God allowed me to see how much love and care he has placed in you and by seeing that I'm able to look through your actions and (prayerfully) lovingly correct and guide you into making better behavior choices. ---- Like don't get out of bed in the middle of the night and cut your hair with scissors, because you want your hair to look like Daddy's.

I know that when you're BUSY and wanting to flip and jump or whatever, it's not because you're a tyrant or a rebel.  I can watch you and listen to you before and after you do it, and know what was on your mind, so I won't have to just yell at you and beat you into submission.

You are 5 years old now!! Oh my!  Leading up to this birthday, you have accomplished so many things.  You are a super reader!  A piano player!  A baseball batter!   A touchdown maker!  An iTunesU Greek Language course taker!  And a God lover!

I look forward to watching many more milestones in your life and helping you through the bumps in the road, on our journey.

Happy Birthday, son!!

Love,

Mommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, you got me teary-eyed. Mainly, because I see similar things with my own boys. Certain ones who I KNOW would be "in trouble" at school...I am able to spend so much time with them that I see all the wonderful things in them and cultivate those, while directing the negative behavior. But, I don't have to feel that disappointment I would have if her were coming home from school with "bad reports". Sorry for the ramble....great post!