Sunday, July 12, 2009

New Additions to our school year: Classical Conversations



There are new exciting additions to our home school this year. The Robinson Curriculum (self-teaching program) and Classical Conversations (a leader in training parents to educate their children with tools to learn and master any subject)!

Classical Conversations is an exciting program which is not new but new to our family. I am incredibly eager about starting this year because this is going to be such a support and source of education for me, as well as the children.

I first learned of Classical Conversations (CC) over a year ago and the program was not offered in my area. At that time, I also had a newborn and it was just not the right time for us to participate. Since then, I have been continually researching the program, and it goes right along with our original schooling method which I've spoken of here on this blog before. A few months ago, as I pondered the coming school year, I resumed my research of CC and I became more and more convinced that it was time for us to take the plunge into it. At that time, the Lord also began speaking to me about becoming a Director with the program and inspiring other parents in their educational journey.

This Fall, the new Classical Conversations Community will be opening and I will have the opportunity to partner with other mothers in educating our children.

In the program, we will be leading and training the students, and parents, in science experiments, art projects, oral presentations, and hundreds of facts (math tables and formulas, English grammar, Latin, history time line events, history sentences, and science).

To learn more about Classical Conversations and our particular community here in Texas, visit the CC Waxahachie Blog.

Find more information about what other home schoolers are doing, check out Tami's Carnival of Homeschooling, here:
Carnival of Homeschooling

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am excited for your family!

~ Candice

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
can you share with me what you are doing according to the robinson curr.? I had researched it a couple years ago, liked a lot of it, but never pursued it.

Andrea

Leslie said...

Thanks Candice.

Hey Andrea! I am going to have my 2nd Grader :) do it and work on reading at least 3-4 hours each day. I'm also going to try out Saxon 5/4 on her, since Robinson suggests it at this age (we did one lesson as a test). Here are two posts I published about it previously.

http://jeoffsrib.blogspot.com/2009/06/2nd-graders-summer-reading-list.html

http://jeoffsrib.blogspot.com/2009/06/can-anyone-home-school.html