Sunday, July 12, 2009

On Teaching Reading

A friend asked me how it went .....

My answer:

Honestly, I started with letter recognition in the bath tub with foam letters, then the letter sounds using the Talking Letter Factory DVD from Leap Frog, kids pick up on those in about a week sometimes. Then we started with simple words on flash cards and books you get from Walmart, etc. then when she was 4 or 5 I ordered TATRAS (Teach America to Read and Spell).



I loved TATRAS. From there she just took off. We listened to some audio books that we got with kids meals from ChickFilA (or maybe it was Wendy's) and as she became interested in the story, I bought the real books for that story and since she knew the characters (it was The Magic Treehouse Series) she was eager to read the words from the story she had already listened to over and over and over.

One of the biggest keys is reading lots of stories to the children aloud (pointing to the words) from time to time. Reading will do an EXCELLENT job of building her vocabulary which is one of the number one indicators of intelligence anyway (not math, science, etc.) I could go on and on you know!

Patience to home school. Of course you would not have it LOL. I don't either, it's all through the strength of the Lord! I have to apologize to them for losing it. On the flip side they could be with someone else who loses it and does not apologize and ask for forgiveness. My mistakes i front of them, I believe, are lessons in godliness and humility, .... and dependence on the Lord to do anything that we do in life.

I stopped working 2 years ago (almost exactly 2 years ago). When we finally made the decision after going back and forth and waiting until we were financially ready, we just jumped in and did it. We still weren't ready (financially) but the Lord made up the slack and increased my husband's income! I don't think we would have ever been "ready" by our own standards.

Don't get me started.......

No comments: