Monday, July 28, 2008

The R.O.C.

Another family placed a bulk order of these and we joined in. We picked it up from her this weekend.



It's especially great for times like these. I didn't use it until we got home and had a chance to explain (reiterate) what the R.O.C. is all about.

The R.O.C. = The Rod of Correction

"Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him." - Proverbs 29:15

It's like a belt but you don't have to deal with the buckle and the length of a belt. A cross between a wooden spoon (since it's sturdy) and a belt (since it's leather outside), it gives just the appropriate amount of sting!

When I think about disciplining children, no matter what the kindness of my heart says, I need to always go back to this:


Quote 1 from The Mother at Home by John Abbott

How entirely is your earthly happiness at the disposal of your child! His character is now, in an important sense, in your hands, and you are to form it for good or for evil. If you are consistent in your government, and faithful in the discharge of your duties, your child will probably through life revere you, and be the stay and solace of your declining years. If, on the other hand, you cannot summon resolution to punish your child when disobedient; if you do not curb his passions; if you do not bring him to entire and willing subjection to your authority; you must expect that he will be your curse. In all probability, he will despise you for your weakness. Unaccustomed to restraints at home, he will break away from all restraints, and make you wretched by his life, and disgraceful in his death.

Quote 2 from The Mother at Home by John Abbott


If you love 'momentary ease' better than your children's welfare and your own permanent happiness, you cannot murmur at the lot you have freely chosen. And when you meet your children at the bar of God, and they point to you and say, "It was through your neglect of duty that we are banished from heaven—and consigned to endless woe!" you must feel what no tongue can tell. Ah! it is dreadful for a mother to trifle with duty. Eternal destinies are committed to your trust. The influence you are now exerting will go on, unchecked by the grave or the judgment, and will extend onward through those ages to which there is no end!

5 comments:

Meg_L said...

I am sorry for you and your children.

Meg_L said...

"It broke my heart to do it but this weekend my baby, Lamby, who's now 18 months old, got her first real spanking"

"She was very sad and mad at me and I hated the sad look that she gave me"

To borrow someone else's words "There’s no recognized research that says that spanking is good for a child, and tons that say it isn’t."

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

Stand firm, don't back down.

KeeperatHome said...

Leslie,
Where could I order one of those R.O.C's? A few years ago, a woman came to speak to our Christian homemaking group and had something similar -- I think it was a little more rubbery though. I had little need for it at the time, but I'm sure it would be useful these days as I become more aware of the need for consistent, measured correction and training.
In Christ, Talya

Leslie @ Joy n Pain said...

Meg,

My husband and I haven't made decisions about spanking based on research but based on what we believe those passages of scripture mean. I have seen tremendous results in my children's behavior, respect, and love for us, for one another, and for being immediately obedient as we teach them through Godly discipline.

We discuss and pray with them about obedience and they know that there are consequences for wrong choices.

We don't have to spank them often. After they have learned what to expect, they are more likely to choose what is right. And we see this in our own. I grew up in a family of four children. I was the youngest. After I learned what would happen when I disobeyed I had less and less of a propensity to disobey. This only helped my relationship with my parents and my respect for them. We (my sisters and parents) now have the move loving relationships because our parents lovingly disciplined us and raised us to be responsible and respectful adults.

When we disobey the Lord -- it hurts. I learned that and my children know that now............