Thursday, August 02, 2007

Our homeschool Sa Fer


I created this post, as part of the Homeschool Open house which is being hosted by Less of Me, More of Him, from now until August 15th.



This will be our first year homeschooling, so I'll be sharing here, what we have planned Sa Fer. By the way, I am still working full-time and have just a little over two weeks left there. I have been working full-time for most of our marriage and over the last two years we've made the decision to homeschool. After looking at public school, private school, and Montessori school (where my two oldest went for preschool last year), we settled on Homeschool.

That decision was inspired heavily by our time in CTI (School of Ministry), seminars by the Bluedorns, and of course from a couple of dozens of my friends who now have homeschool families.

While you're here, please take a look at the other posts in this category (Homeschool), as well as the ones to the right. My favorites are Relationship with Christ, *Marriage*, Children, Women, and Ministry.

My very favorite post about homeschool and the best advice I've received so far, can be found, here.

So regarding Homeschool, here's what we look like.

(Oh and also, if you have any tips to share with me, from your experiences, please let me know! Especially tips for multi-aged settings, and tips for the specific curriculum choices I have made)

Description
Our children are ages 5, 3 and 1, and along with us this year will be my 12 year old and 11 year old nieces.

The main curriculum we'll use is My Father's World. I will be getting the Exploring Countries and Cultures package and using that along with some of their Pre-K and Kinder learning toys.

Other items we will include are:
- TATRAS (Teach America to Read and Spell)
- Singapore Math
- Apologia Science
- Logic books (The Thinking Toolbox) from Trivium Pursuit
- Beginning Greek & Latin from Trivium Pursuit
- Right From Wrong for Youth (Josh McDowell)

The older kids will also be attending a co-op at a local church for their Language Arts instruction and for theatre. And one will do volley ball at the private school she attended last year.

Daily Schedule
I'll list them in order, not by time

Morning
- Morning chores
- Breakfast and worship time
- Quick Clean
- Two education segments which will include: memory work, copy work, narration, reading aloud, science and geography projects, etc

Lunchtime
- Quick clean before lunch
- The three (maybe four) older children help prepare and serve lunch
- Clean up after lunch (table and kitchen)

Naptime for the younger children and math for the older ones

After naps
- One more educational segment, as above, then move to the weekly activity for the day

Weekly Schedule
We'll break the days up into the following:
- Library and Cooking Day (prepare 2-3 meals for the week)
- Music and Dance Day (including ballet lessons)
- Communion and Prayer Day (Pray for specific needs for ourselves and for others we know who are in need, this is a longer prayer time than daily prayers)
- Outreach Day: Visit or relatives who are sick/homebound, visit others who are also sick or another type of outreach activity
- Trip day (Field Trips!)

3 comments:

Melissa Markham said...

Have a wonderful year!

Anonymous said...

Have a great 1st year!

Cindy
www.homeschoolblogger.com/westward

The Proverbs Wife said...

Congratulations on your decision to HS. This is my second year HS'ing. I have four children, am a devoted child of God and happily married to the love of my life. This will probably end up being one of the best decisions you'll ever make. God bless you.