Monday, July 02, 2007

His Thoughts are Not My Thoughts

I have been talking to some friends of mine lately about some things that I need to work on in my personality / temperament / language / character. I named all of those titles because I know we are who we are based on how we are naturally shaped. With those four methods of characterizing ourselves, not to mention our birth order, we can be identified as having a specific set of strengths and weaknesses.

My personality is somewhat Outgoing/Extrovert, at the temperment level I'm Choleric and Sanguine, my life langage the last time I assessed it was Influencer/Mover/Doer, for birth order I'm the youngest!, and my character - well, it doesn't have a specific name that I know of but I believe it's made up of all of the aforementioned.

So how is that related to the title of this blog? The discussion that I had with some friends, although I can't blame my weaknesses on --- "that's just the way I was made" --- I know is a starting point for why I do some of the things I do. The way I'm shaped in addition to some experiences I've had in life have led me to make certain choices and handle situations in certain ways.

This discovery has led me to rethink the way I approach things that I share. Regardless of the circumstance that led me to receive this feedback from friends, I want to find ways to figure out how to change. There are many many aspects to this (the weaknesses I have and will be working to change) but one I will address by sharing more details of some of the real life issues I face in life and how I have dealt with them, right or wrong. I don't want to share the good ones only!

Why the title "His Thoughts are Not My Thoughts?" This title came to me because most of the time when I encounter a difficult time in life, my mind goes through a Thought Process and many times a Thought Exchange. I often times start with my own thoughts which may include fears, doubts, frustrations, hurt, sorrow, anger, you name it. But if I stay there I'll be a mess. Even if I have to vent to someone, cry it out, whatever, I have to come to a place where those thoughts exchange from mine to his.

The verses that affirm that for me are:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:9

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Ps 139:23

How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?
Psalm 13:2

The Lord knows the thoughts of man; he knows that they are futile.
Psalm 94:11

So I'll be writing about some of the thoughts and frustrations that I have (and have had) and hopefully the times that I can make the Thought Exchange will outnumber the times that I do not!

From 7/2006

No comments: