Sunday, July 22, 2007

Childhood Meme - The House of My Growing Up


This is just my start, more is coming soon! If you have one or your blog, send me a comment and let me know. If you don't have a blog put yours in a comment!

Do you have warm feelings about the childhood home you remember the most?

Yes!!! Some of my fondest memories are from the house where I grew up. On Lake Placid Drive!

What did your home look like inside?

It was a one story house with 5 bedrooms and green shag carpet (until my dad bought carpet from me when I was 16 and a carpet salesperson).

I shared rooms with my sister who is two years older. There was a looooong hallway from our room to my parents' and I remember being afraid to go from our room to theirs, late at night. But I would still dash up the hall, on stormy nights and I wanted my mommy.


Here's a photo of me and my older sisters, below LOL
Good Grief!!!




I graduated to having my own room, when my oldest sister moved out and went to college, and after all three of my older sisters graduated, I had the whole house to myself. Then they started coming back home!

The fifth bedroom was sometimes the play room and other times an office. I was hardly ever used as a bedroom.

Either of my bedrooms, was always next to the side-yard, where our doggies lived.

Outside the House?

We had a really big dog house out there and I remember playing in the dog house with my sisters, friends and cousins from time to time (when I think about it now...."yucky!"

We had a big covered patio and a couple of trees out back. We loved climbing the trees and especially climbing all the way up and jumping onto the roof. We'd go there and walk all around the roof and sometimes even jump off the roof to the ground. Crazy, we were!!

We also climbed the trees in the front yard. My dad has flower beds in the front yard which he spent hours and hours on the weekend, making them beautiful. He and my mom definitely had green thumbs. I do not!

What did you look out onto?

From the front, I looked out onto the street and the houses across the street. One of the houses, was owned by Z.Z. Hill. Someone out there may remember him. We felt like we were important because we were neighbors to a blues singer. And to top that off, we also lived in the same apartment building as Johnny Taylor, the year I was born!

See this post for information on how this started.

7 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

We had the green shag carpet too! Lots of it!

Anonymous said...

I had to wait till my 2 older sisters were married to have my own room, but I only had my own room for 4 months cuz my oldest sister and I were married 4 months apart! Love the photo!

Rebekah said...

ya know, in reading all these blogs (and having so much fun doing so) there seems to be one common theme.... Shag carpet :)

Owlhaven said...

This is fun-- thanks for sharing

Mary

Susannah said...

Fun reflections! My father had a green thumb too. I love to garden, but who has time anymore? Thanks for participating. Blessings, e-Mom

Lori said...

OH my that picture is tooo precious for words!! I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and visiting. Have a great day.

Drena said...

Haha! I remember that picture of you and the girls...and I remember the house on Lake Placid! Wow!!
Well, I have fond memories of my childhood home in good ole Nac! We had a HUGE back, front and side yard...no fences! I remember running around the outside of the house in the summertime with my brother and cousins! Thanks for taking me back!