Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Childlike, Brotherly Compassion


Today I took lunch to my two older kiddos, at summer camp and as we walked down the hallway, all holding hands, my son looked at his big sister and saw she was sad.

He said, "What's wrong Riah? Why are you sad?" She said, "Because I was hungry and didn't want to wait for Mommy to come."



Then Buddy responded with such care and concern, in the cutest little 3 year old voice, "Awe....it's okay. I will share with you."

I almost fell to pieces (and the male security guard in the hallway, almost did too).

I thought, wow. What compassion he showed toward his sister?


I had to ask myself a series of questions.

How often do I show that kind of compassion when I see someone who is hungry or has some other need?

How often do I willingly offer to share some of what I have, to make them feel better, because I am moved by their sorrow?

He didn't say, Mommy will get you one, too. He said I will give you some of mine!!!

Needless today, I was incredibly humbled.

4 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

What a beautiful heart!

Beverly said...

Oh, how sweet. I would have almost fallen to pieces too! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I'll be visiting you, and hope to get to know you better!

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

You are so blessed! Those things are learned by example, so I know you are teaching them well! :)

Thank you for coming by my place - along with Bev, I hope to get to know you better through this medium!

Susannah said...

I enjoy your blog! And it's so nice to meet you. Your kids are precious, and scrolling down, I see you were a Be-ooo-tiful bride. (Happy anniversary.) Praise God you have such a compassionate and protective son. Bodes well for his future, doesn't it? Hugs 'n prayers, e-Mom