Thursday, July 27, 2006

How’s it going with the new baby?


A friend asked me this question yesterday and after sending her the e-mail response I decided to post part of it in the blog.

"It's going pretty good. The first couple of months were tough of course. I think the worst part of that time period was trying to make car trips with the three of them. You know how some babies (a lot of babies) get quiet when you get in the car and get going? Well much of the time she was just the opposite. Sometimes when I would get to the light and stop she would get quiet and then when it came time for me to go and get on the highway or whatever, she would start screaming. And sometimes scream until we got to where we were going.

When we're riding in the Camry, Moriah sits in the middle so she can be on pacifier duty and make sure she at least has that as an option, for calming down.

Sometimes I (or all five of us) had to stop at the service station or somewhere and get her out of the seat and hold her for a while so she'll calm down. Sometimes it was because she needed to burp again. Who knew?? Maybe I just wasn't as in tune with the needs of this stage as I was with Moriah and to a certain extent with Monte.

So how's it going now? The car rides are much much better. She coos a lot more now and she burps much more easily, so she's much happier.

At night she's sleeping for longer periods of time, but she's starting to suck her two middle fingers (next to the pinky) to get back to sleep. I would much rather her nurse during that time to keep up my milk supply and provide her with much better nutrients but sometimes I'm so tired or in the middle of trying to complete some chore that I let her continue. Or if it's in the middle of the night now, I don't realize that she woke up and did it. Before she would wake up and fidget and I would hear her and would get her and nurse her. I realize that she doesn't wake up because she's hungry but nursing at night gives her more closeness with me and gives her more nutrition, immune building, etc. So since she just started doing this in the last week it's frustrating."

No comments: